- Aimed at the talk: 38 people.
- Assistants: 32 people.
- It was held on October 22nd.
It is the first time in which the actual assistants practically coincide with those aimed at the meetup so thank you all for the effort of assistance.
Important: We remind you that in the tool Slack have a channel registered to organize and to share the management of the meetup, specifically the channel we use is #wpalicante of Slack WordPress Spain. If you want to lend a hand, contribute ideas and become more active part of this community follow the instructions on the following page-> http://wp-es.es/slack/
By the Hand of Antonio Sánchez, WordPress developer of the meetup of WordPress Murcia, we visit this time to share with us all their wisdom on the subject Storefront, which is specially prepared to work with Woocommerce. Antonio has not only investigated in depth this issue but has programmed even a plugin to be able to control in a more visual way the Hooks and filters: Storefront Visual Hook Guide.
From the hand of this spectacular host we make a review of everything that happened in the meetup. We also share the Presentation on Storefront and Visual Guide plugin With all the information that Antony has prepared for you.
Here are some interesting notes about the meetup.
- Storefront It's a free topic.
- Woocommerce It is also a free plugin to manage an online store. Having the option to control shipments is ideal for physical sale, IE objects to be sent to buyers.
- Templates: Files to modify Web features, such as titles.
- Hooks: Zones within the code where you can put and remove features (hooks).
- Filters: Unlike Hooks, they are information selections that affect the entire web.
- Tagged schema.org: It is what Google uses to show rich data.
- In the presentation you have a series of free plugins that improve the theme.
- They have ruled out those plugins that are outdated or that the Storefront itself has been by embedding in its own code over time for being very interesting.
- There is another issue similar to Storefront called Canvas but it is paid.
- You also have in the presentation other very interesting payment plugins. Most Cuestán less than $40 although the first Storefront Powerpack is over $59 although it is true that it is a compendium of many interesting features; You have almost everything you need in an additional way in a single plugin.
Advanced tricks in Storefront
This is where we discuss the details of the plugin that Antonio has made to expedite work with Storefront. This topic has both filters and hooks that sometimes it is difficult to find throughout the code, especially, it is complex to know which ones we are using and where, especially for the hooks.
So the plugin Storefront Visual Hook Guide Allows:
- See at the beginning of the web all the filters used
- See each of the areas of the web arranged with Hooks in a visual way on the screens themselves. So we can locate them quickly and see within each one what functionalities we have operational and in what order.
- When we deploy a Hook and see its contents, if we want to modify some functionality we have to:
- Select the text of the function we want to perform on the web
- Paste the text in the functions. PHP (preferably the child theme and so we will not lose the changes that have been introduced.
- The number that appears at the end of the function that we are copying indicates the priority of execution so in the background we will be indicating with that number what information is shown before and which later. By default the priority assigned is 10.
- To add actions you use the function Add_action
- To remove actions the function is used Remove_action
- Each of these functions has three parameters:
- Affected section: for example Homepage. This is what the Hook says we're working on.
- Function: The functionality we are adding or eliminating
- Priority: The position in which this functionality is displayed with respect to the other added features.
- The added functionality can show some particular element, but it can also contain shortcodes using the function Do_shortcode. For example, we could show the Woocommerce cart at the end of the Homepage thanks to the shortcode provided by the plugin itself, in the following way:
echo Do_shortcode (' [woocommerce_checkout] ');
Add_action (' homepage ', ' Muestra_Carrito ',60)
- Antonio plans to improve the plugin to add the CSS styles and also displayed on the screen to be able to modify them more easily.
- There are other topics that also have Hooks so this plugin will also be useful in such cases, such as Astra or Genesis.
Other topics covered in the Meetup
- Payment Plugin that translates surprisingly well the pages, taking into account that translations often depend on the context and it is very difficult to get automated, so it is always advisable to review them after the use of a translation plugin. Still, this one solves it quite well.
- It is a plugin for high level websites, because when you get quality translations it is not cheap. That is to say, for a company that bills and needs to reach abroad is ideal, not for a web to walk around home that we make personal.
- It does not consume almost resources because it pulls its API to make the translations.
- For affiliate web stores Yes OK. It is compatible with the Amazon affiliate plugin.
- It's a plugin for advanced filters for WordPress.
- You have an add-on called MAP facet To show locations on a map.
- If you want to take a look, disponéis on your own demo page State Parks Where to see how it works.
- When you change a theme and have widgets in a specific area of that topic, they are lost. But they really don't get lost at all but they stay as inactive widgets. So you have only to drag them from there to the new widget area where you want them to appear and fixed.
- When we move widgets between zones it can be done with the classic drag & drop or by activating the Accessibility mode that appears at the top when you deploy the screen options. With this what we get is that each widget has an edit button to tell you exactly where to place (based on dropdowns). This is useful when the widget screen is very large and you have to do a lot of scrolling to drag a widget from the bottom of the screen to its correct position in the new area.